- What to see
- Where to sleep
- Travel Tips
Barcelona Design Museum (Museum)
The Museu del Disseny, which opened its new headquarters in December 2014, is a museum dedicated to the history, practice, and uses of design.. One of its main objectives is to disseminate the culture of design in the 21st century, looking at conception, manufacturing and distribution, and analyzing aesthetic and functional capacities.
If you come to visit the capital of Catalonia, we will help you to find the best long term rentals in barcelona. We offer apartments of different types, renovated and well furnished in all areas of Barcelona!
It features more than 70,000 objects, the result of the union between the collections of the Museum of Decorative Arts, Museum of Ceramics, Museum of the Textile Clothing, and Cabinet of Graphical Arts.
Barcelona has always been a city historically linked to design and it is for this reason that in recent years the City Council has evaluated and decided to create a single space to find all the collections related to the world design.
The center aims to become a meeting point between individuals and institutions related to this sector in order to stimulate research. Moreover, the idea is to introduce visitors to each part of the design process; the study, the selection of materials, processing, etc.
Excursions in Barcelona
To make the most of Barcelona and fill your trip with unforgettable experiences and emotions, we offer you the excursions through the Catalan capital organized by our friends - the GetYourGuide team. Choose your excursion and fall in love with Barcelona:
A work of design, both inside and out
The museum building - Disseny Hub Barcelona - has the shape of an titled rectangle, made of materials like glass and zinc plates that give the typical appearance of industrial architecture, modern geometry and asymmetry. Among the locals it is known as The Stapler ;)
Inside the building there several rooms with permanent exhibitions and temporary exhibitions (a total of 5,000 m² of exhibition space), a documentation center (which has more than 22,000 documents), research rooms, a hall for events and a large auditorium. The new facility is located in Plaça de les Glories, in the Poblenou area.
The museum has 4 permanent exhibits covering Graphic Design, Textiles, Decorative arts, and Industrial Design.
- First Floor: From the world to the museum. Product Design, cultural heritage, dedicated to the design of objects from everyday life, discovering their functions and why they were created.
- Second Floor: Extraordinary! Collections of Decorative and Author-Centred Art, a journey from the 3rd to the 21st century on the evolution of decorative art - ceramics, glass, clocks, furniture, and more.
- Third Floor: Dressing the body. Silhouettes and fashion (1550-2015); A look at how clothing has evolved over history, not just in appearance, but culture and meaning.
- Fourth Floor: Graphic Design: from trade to profession (1940-1980); More than 500 pieces of pioneering graphic design across history.
Practical information about the Barcelona Design Museum
- Where: Disseny Hub Barcelona Building - Pl. de les Glòries Catalanes, 37-38
- How to get ther: Metro station Glòries (Line 1). Bus lines (7, 60, 92, 192, H12). Tram station Glòries (T4, T5, T6)
- Disabled access: The museum has ramps and wide elevators for people with mobility problems
- Opening hours: The museum has a separate winter and summer timetable . You can consult the full timetable in English here.
- Prices: €6 standard entry. €4 reduced price for certain criteria (elderly, students, club members).
- Accommodation nearby: You can find places nearby the design museum here.