This December, Barcelona offers an ample variety of fairs, festivals, concerts, and activities to have a great time, whether you're going solo, as a couple, with friends, or as a family. Get our your planner out and scribble in some time for this selection of best events for December.
Big party for the ending year
Do you want to do something special on the last night of the year? Look at all that you can do in Barcelona in the following article. We are sure that you will find a celebration perfect for you!
And remember! Whatever you do in the Catalan capital, don’t forget the grapes and reserve your apartment for New Year's Eve or Christmas.
- New Years Eve in Barcelona 2018-2019 Dec 31 - Jan 01 Want to spend New Year's Eve in Barcelona?
Fairs and Festivals
Santa Llúcia Fair
The oldest Christmas market in Barcelona has always been in front of the cathedral. During the whole month you can get to know the traditions and unique characters of the Catalan culture, such as the Caga Tío or the Caganer (Pooping Log) and perhaps find some Christmas decorations.
- Fair of Santa Llúcia Nov 30 - Dec 23 Do not miss the most magical Christmas market in Barcelona
Barcelona's Children Festival (Festival de la Infancia)
This fair is ideal for the little ones of the household. Games, workshops, sports, music, and more. The children will have a great time! Don't hesitate to go and bring your kids for a day at the Barcelona Children's Fair, a place where the whole family will experience unforgettable moments.
- Barcelona Children's Festival — Ciutat de Somnis Dec 27 - Jan 04 Have a blast at the City of Dreams (Ciutat de Somnis) from 27 December until the 30 December!
Ocasión - New and Pre-owned car convention
Are you thinking about a new car? In December you can find the best selection of semi-new cars ready for sale and use at the Fira de Montjüic. There is a varied selection, from small cars to luxury cars, Spanish and imported cars, to buy or to rent and also 0 kilometres.
- Ocasión - New and Pre-owned car convention Nov 30 - Dec 09 The 38th edition of the Ocasión Convention will take place in Fira de Montjuïc centre with nearly 100 exhibitors
Voll-Damm Barcelona Jazz Festival
If you’re looking for live music, Barcelona will not disappoint. If you like jazz, you can’t miss the 50th Voll-Damm Barcelona Jazz Festival. Ambrose Akinmusire, Alfonso de Vilallonga, Antonio Carmona, James Rhodes, Eliane Elías are among some of the big names at this edition.
- Voll-Damm Barcelona Jazz Festival Oct 26 - Dec 21 One of the biggest Jazz festivals in the world.
Buff Epic Run
If you are one of those who cannot stand still, not even on holiday, then you should take part in the Buff Epic Run, an obstacle course that's something... Peculiar. Do you remember Takeshi's Castle? Well, you can go preparing to run in a costume while ending up covered in mud! Yes, the fun is 100% guaranteed.
- Buff Epic Run Barcelona Dec 15 Take out your craziest costume and participate in the craziest race in Barcelona!
The First Swim of the Year
If you want to start the year in the most original way possible, start by removing your clothes, putting on your swimming costume and going straight to the beach to participate in the Primer Ban d’Any Nou. What better way to wake up after a night of partying? ;)
- First swim of the year in Barcelona 2019 Jan 01 Welcome the new year with open arms in the most original way. Taking a dip in the Mediterranean!
Other activities in Autumn
- What to do in Barcelona: Autumn and Winter What to do in Barcelona in autumn and winter, despite the lower temperatures
The Climate in December
Different to many European cities, Barcelona enjoys one of the best climates. Although the months of December, January and February are the coldest of the year, the maximum temperatures reach almost 15ºC. The minimum temperatures don’t get too close to 0ºC. In fact, it is rare to see snow in Barcelona, expect at the highest points such as Tibidabo and Montjüic.
These are the climatological figures for December in Barcelona.
- Average temperature: 9.7ºC
- Maximum temperature: 14.1ºC
- Minimum temperature: 5ºC
- Sunrise: Between 7:58am and 8:17am
- Sunset: Between 5:23pm and 5:32pm
If you want more up to date information, here is a page with reliable weather information!
Advantages and Inconveniences of Travelling in December
December is a good month to visit the city of Barcelona, although often we have come to believe that travelling in the low season only has disadvantages. Here we give our opinion.
We advise that you come and get lost in the city. Barcelona is always a magical city, especially in December when it is decorated for Christmas. Every street, even the smallest, offers incredible moments.
1 – The Christmas spirit makes Barcelona an even more beautiful city. The streets are full of lights and decorations that start in November. Shops decorated for Christmas, Catalan traditions, Christmas markets… Barcelona is one of the most popular European destinations for Christmas and New Year, for its temperatures and surprises that you will only find in December.
2 – New Year’s Eve makes December a great time to come to Barcelona. The Catalan capital many options on this date, which you can discover in this article.
3 - Normally the price of flights and accommodation are a disadvantage of travelling in December… but this year is different! Because of the Catalan conflict, Barcelona has lowered prices of plane tickets, hotels and apartments. So now is a good time to visit Barcelona.
- Does the Catalan conflict make Barcelona unsafe? There has been problems in the tourism sector in Barcelona since the referendum. Is this justified?
1 – Needless to say that travelling with low temperatures is not one of the best things in the world. But, if you want a different Christmas holiday, Barcelona offers one of the mildest temperatures in the whole of Europe. You can even take a swim on the 1 January.
2 – Be careful of the days where museums and other places of interest will be shut. People who work in the tourism sector also have the right to have their Christmas holidays, so some of the opening hours and reduced.