- What to see
- Where to sleep
- Travel Tips
Barcelona Children's Festival — Ciutat de Somnis
- When: 27 December to 30 December. 11AM – 8PM.
- Where: Fira de Barcelona - Montjuïc - Get there via Metro station Espanya (L1 or L3)
- Price: Ticket prices will become available from 15 November
- Accommodation Nearby: Take a look at our holiday apartments near the Fira
- Buy Tickets: Get your tickets here
- Website: Official Page of City of Dreams (Spanish)
Fun times are to be had for all the family!
There are so many events for adults at Christmas in Barcelona, as you can see here, but what about the children? Well, from 27 to 30 December, Barcelona annual Children’s Festival returns, an event aimed at children aged 4–12 years old and their families. At previous events, there have been special appearances from Olympians and players from FC Barcelona to inspire children to play sports and lead active lives.
Barcelona Children's Festival is renaming itself as Ciutat de Somnis (City of Dreams). This Festival has been celebrated in Barcelona since 1963 and has been a hugely popular event, as proven by the fact that last year there were over 100,000 visitors, 170 activities and 95 participants across 11 acres of space. This year, children can enjoy games and workshops, practise sports, get to know the value of solidarity, and learn about the world of art, culture and technology. Don’t miss out!
It is a unique event that transmits the important values in a fun environment. Children will learn values such as healthy eating, respect for animals and the environment while inspiring them in a creative manner. Entering a mysterious forest, joining a pirate ship crew and being a fire-fighter or police officer for a day are just some of the things they will enjoy!
Sectors at this year's festival
This year, there are 10 main sections that the fair will focus on:
- Food and nutrition
- New technologies
La Ciutat dels Somnis
A new event that gives children the opportunity to be whoever they want to be, whether that be a chef, mechanic, doctor and more! Children can experience different professions and the skills and tasks involved in each type of career. By encouraging both the boys and girls to get involved in all types of profession, the event aspires to break down stereotypes and gender determinants in the working world. However, this is done in a way that allows children to have fun, imagine, discover and become inspired.
What spaces will you find?
- Mechanical workshop (Automotive)
- Bookstore (Packaging and retail)
- Sports pavilion (Sports)
- Hotel (Catering and hotel industry)
- House (Construction and architecture)
- School (Public)
- Market (Food and gastronomy)
- Hospital (Health and safety)
- Technology park (Technology and innovation)
- Atelier (Artists)
- Laboratory (Chemistry)
- Town hall (Citizenship)
- Park (Sustainable cities and environment)
- Kiosk (Public)
Example space: Mechanical workshop
This area allows you to carry out activities related to the assembly of engines and vehicles, maintenance, and driving rules/signs.
- Lego constructions: Vehicles can be constructed with LEGO pieces and a motor will be installed to create movement. Various models will be creatable in order to encourage creativity.
- MOT test: Practise the process of the MOT test by carrying out various tasks such as changing the wheel of a car or motorbike, check to see if the oil level is correct, determine wheel pressure, replace the bulbs and more.
- Painting the bodywork of a car: Paint the veneer or bodywork of a car in your chosen colour.
- Workshop creating cardboard vehicles: Workshop where you can choose a vehicle, shape it by cutting a template, then paint and decorate it however you want before driving it.
- Costume workshop: You can dress up as a mechanic!
The musical performances at the Children’s Festival are hugely popular. For each day of the event there are various performances for the children and their families from various Catalan hip-hop, blues, pop, folk and rock groups. Watching these acts on stage gives children the opportunity to experience their first live concert in a fun and safe environment. At last year’s event, Peppa Pig did a special performance, and afterwards the children were able to meet her.
Video of last year's event
Do you like this post?
Share your thoughts
Apartments in Barcelona
4 | | 60m² Quiet apartment with private terrace and air conditioning in Plaza España