This December, Barcelona offers an ample variety of fairs, festivals, concerts, and activities to have a great time, whether you're going solo, as a couple, with friends, or as a family. Get our your planner out and scribble in some time for this selection of best events for December.
Big end of year party
Do you want to do something special on the last night of the year? Look at all that you can do in Barcelona in the following article. We are sure that you will find a celebration perfect for you!
And remember! Whatever you do in the Catalan capital, don’t forget the grapes and reserve your apartment for New Year's Eve or Christmas.
- New Years Eve in Barcelona 2017-2018 Dec 31 - Jan 01 Want to spend New Year's Eve in Barcelona?
Fairs and Festivals
Game of Thrones
This exposition has already started in Barcelona and will travel the world. The Game of Thrones world is here and with its props, costumes and yes, the Iron Throne! Not only can you see it, you can also sit in it! You can be like Cersei:
- The Game of Thrones exposition kicks off in Barcelona! Find out what lurks behind the scenes in the Game of Thrones series with this unique exposition
Santa Llúcia Fair
The oldest Christmas market in Barcelona has been in front of the cathedral since 24 November. During the whole month you can get to know the traditions and unique characters of the Catalan culture, such as the Caga Tío or the Caganer (Pooping Log) and perhaps find some Christmas decorations.
- Fair of Santa Llúcia Nov 24 - Dec 23 Do not miss the most magical Christmas market in Barcelona
Barcelona's Children Festival (Festival de la Infancia)
This fair is ideal for the little ones of the household. Games, workshops, sports, music, and more. The children will have a great time! Don't hesitate to go and bring your kids for a day at the Barcelona Children's Fair, a place where the whole family will experience unforgettable moments.
- Barcelona's Children's Festival Dec 27 - Jan 04 Have a blast at the Children's Festival of Barcelona from 27 December until the 30 December!
Ocasión - New and Pre-owned car convention
Are you thinking about a new car? In December you can find the best selection of semi-new cars ready for sale and use at the Fira de Montjüic. There is a varied selection, from small cars to luxury cars, Spanish and imported cars, to buy or to rent and also 0 kilometres.
- Ocasión - New and Pre-owned car convention Dec 01 - Dec 10 The 37th edition of the Ocasión Convention will take place in Fira de Montjuïc centre with nearly 100 exhibitors
Elton John at the Palau Sant Jordi
You can’t miss the huge world tour for Sir Elton John’s 33rd album “Wonderful Crazy Night”. The artist returns to the Palau Sant Jordi after 2 years.
- Elton John concert at Palau Sant Jordi Dec 03 Come see Elton John in Barcelona this December
Depeche Mode Concert
The band Depeche Mode will return to Barcelona on 7 December at the Palau Sant Jordi with the world tour “Global Spirit Tour”. The last album, called “Spirit”, is their 14th. Don’t miss the opportunity to see them!
- Depeche Mode Live Concert 2017 Dec 07 Unmissable opportunity to see Depeche Mode perform live on 7 December 2017 at Palau Sant Jordi in Barcelona!
The Awakening of Music in the Star Wars Concert
The premiere of “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is on 15 December and the Palau de la Música Catalana offers a unique performance. Are you a Star Wars fan? If so, you can’t miss the concert totally dedicated to Star Wars and the great John Williams.
- The Awakening of Music Dec 16 - Dec 17 Do not miss the Star Wars soundtracks performed live by the Catalan Choral Society!
Voll-Damm Barcelona Jazz Festival
If you’re looking for live music, Barcelona will not disappoint. If you like jazz, you can’t miss the 49th Voll-Damm Barcelona Jazz Festival. Ambrose Akinmusire, Alfonso de Vilallonga, Antonio Carmona, James Rhodes, Eliane Elías are among some of the big names at this edition.
- 49th Voll-Damm Barcelona Jazz Festival Sep 30 - Dec 19 One of the biggest Jazz festivals in the world.
Buff Epic Run
If you are one of those who cannot stand still, not even on holiday, then you should take part in the Buff Epic Run, an obstacle course that's something... Peculiar. Do you remember Takeshi's Castle? Well, you can go preparing to run in a costume while ending up covered in mud! Yes, the fun is 100% guaranteed.
- Buff Epic Run Barcelona Dec 16 Take out your craziest costume and participate in the craziest race in Barcelona!
The First Swim of the Year
If you want to start the year in the most original way possible, start by removing your clothes, putting on your swimming costume and going straight to the beach to participate in the Primer Ban d’Any Nou. What better way to wake up after a night of partying? ;)
- First swim of the year in Barcelona 2017 Jan 01 Welcome the new year with open arms in the most original way. Taking a dip in the Mediterranean!
Other activities in Autumn
- What to do in Barcelona: Autumn and Winter What to do in Barcelona in autumn and winter, despite the lower temperatures
The Climate in December
Different to many European cities, Barcelona enjoys one of the best climates. Although the months of December, January and February are the coldest of the year, the maximum temperatures reach almost 15ºC. The minimum temperatures don’t get too close to 0ºC. In fact, it is rare to see snow in Barcelona, expect at the highest points such as Tibidabo and Montjüic.
These are the climatological figures for December in Barcelona.
- Average temperature: 9.7ºC
- Maximum temperature: 14.1ºC
- Minimum temperature: 5ºC
- Sunrise: Between 7:58am and 8:17am
- Sunset: Between 5:23pm and 5:32pm
If you want more up to date information, here is a page with reliable weather information!
Advantages and Inconveniences of Travelling in December
December is a good month to visit the city of Barcelona, although often we have come to believe that travelling in the low season only has disadvantages. Here we give our opinion.
We advise that you come and get lost in the city. Barcelona is always a magical city, especially in December when it is decorated for Christmas. Every street, even the smallest, offers incredible moments.
1 – The Christmas spirit makes Barcelona an even more beautiful city. The streets are full of lights and decorations that start in November. Shops decorated for Christmas, Catalan traditions, Christmas markets… Barcelona is one of the most popular European destinations for Christmas and New Year, for its temperatures and surprises that you will only find in December.
2 – New Year’s Eve makes December a great time to come to Barcelona. The Catalan capital many options on this date, which you can discover in this article.
3 - Normally the price of flights and accommodation are a disadvantage of travelling in December… but this year is different! Because of the Catalan conflict, Barcelona has lowered prices of plane tickets, hotels and apartments. So now is a good time to visit Barcelona.
- Does the Catalan conflict make Barcelona unsafe? There has been problems in the tourism sector in Barcelona since the referendum. Is this justified?
1 – Needless to say that travelling with low temperatures is not one of the best things in the world. But, if you want a different Christmas holiday, Barcelona offers one of the mildest temperatures in the whole of Europe. You can even take a swim on the 1 January.
2 – Be careful of the days where museums and other places of interest will be shut. People who work in the tourism sector also have the right to have their Christmas holidays, so some of the opening hours and reduced.