Every traveler know that expenses during a holiday or city trip can really add up. But there are many easy ways to save money. Based on personal experiences and input from other travelers, here is a list of 25 useful tips to make your trip to Barcelona as cheap as possible.
If you come to visit the capital of Catalonia, we will help you to find the best apartment in Barcelona. We offer apartments of different types, renovated and well furnished in all areas of Barcelona!
Reducing the costs is easy
- Fly with a low-cost airline company: To Barcelona you can fly with low-cost companies as Vueling, Transavia, Ryanair, Brussels airlines, Corendon, Air Berlin, German wings, EasyJet and others.
- Fly on a midweek day: Flights during the weekends are usually more expensive than flight during the week.
- Self-catering: Rent an apartment instead of a hotel, so you will have possession of your own kitchen and you can take advantage of self catering instead of dining in an expensive restaurant. Learn more about saving on accommodation in this article.
- Low-cost taxi: If you arrive by plane you can take advantage of the low-cost taxi that will take you straight to your accommodation from €6 per person.
- Low-cost parking: Parking spots are usually expensive in Barcelona. You will easily pay €40 per day. Buy your low-cost parking spot in advance and park your car in the city center for only €13 a day or take a risk with one of the free places to park.
- Do not dine in the city center or around touristic areas
- Use these free Barcelona discount coupons to take advantage of great offers and discounts.
- Free entrance to museums: Once a month, most museums in Barcelona are free
- Buy a T-10 instead of a single ticket: When you use public transport you will pay €2 for a single ticket. A T-10 costs less than €10 for 10 trips and you can travel with more people on one ticket.
- Use public transport and forget about the Bus Touristique
- Bring your own lunch and have a picnic instead of eating in a restaurant
- Talk to locals to gather advice
- Use your age: Students, children and 65+ often get discounts
- Try to win a weekend in Barcelona on Facebook
- Rent an apartment instead of a hotel: Apartments are usually cheaper and more comfortable and spaceous, especially if you're traveling with a group of people
- Avoid public transport, instead walk as much as you can or rent a bike
- Bring a bottle of water or drink, instead of buying one on your way
- Don't hesitate to haggle when you buy gifts
- Use the Internet to make free phone calls home instead of using your mobile
- When you have lunch at a restaurants always ask for the "Menú del día", the day menu.
- Most people don't tip in Spanish restaurants, only tip if you find the service outstanding.
- Do a lot of free activities, like visiting Park Güell, Port Vell, the beaches of Barcelona, Montjuïc, Temple Romà d'August, Arts Santa Mònica, La Capella, Palau Güell, CaixaForum, Fundació Joan Brossa, Museu de Carrosses Fúnebres, Hospital Sant Pau and the Olympic Stadium
- If you visit a theater you can take the chance to buy the tickets in the late afternoon. Non sold tickets are being sold cheaper.
- Get into clubs before 2 am. Most clubs have either free entrance or reduced entry when entering the club before 2 am.
- Change your money at a bank. If you need to change currencies don't do it in the money exchange shops you find all over Barcelona.
I hope you find these tips useful. Do you have more tips for us? Just let us know and we can add them to the list.
Excursions in Barcelona
To make the most of Barcelona and fill your trip with unforgettable experiences and emotions, we offer you the excursions through the Catalan capital organized by our friends - the GetYourGuide team. Choose your excursion and fall in love with Barcelona: