- What to see
- Where to sleep
- Travel Tips
36th Barcelona Comic Convention
- When: From 12 - 15 April 2018 from 10am - 8pm
- Where: Fira de Montjuïc. Get there via Metro Line 1 or 3 (Espanya)
- Accommodation Nearby: Find an apartment with this list of holiday apartments in Barcelona
- Buy Tickets: Tickets for Barcelona's Salón del Cómic in advance
- Website: Barcelona Comic Convention
The 36th edition of the Comic Fair in Barcelona returns from 12 to 15 April 2018. In this article, we will tell you the history of this fair and what kind of exhibition awaits you. Not to mention the new space dedicated to children from 5 to 12 years old.
The comic show is one of the most important events in Spain for comic fans as you the latest news in the comic world will be revealed!
One of the most important exhibitions this year will be Jack Kirby the King of Comic.
The cartoonists first met in Sitges, Spain in 1969. Afterwards, a new show opened its doors in 1981 – the Comic Fair – to collect the best of the cultural works of history and bring together all comic fans in one place to share their passion and discover new talent that will ensure a future of comics.
At the first edition, 12,000 people attended the event. With the success of the show, the number of visitors has increased year by year and reached almost 112,000 visitors last year.
In 1986 and 1987, the event had a break, but since then it has been held regularly. However, its location has changed due to the success of the fair: “The Drassanes” (1988 – 1990), “Born” (1991 – 1993), Estación de Francia (1994) and finally The Fira de Montjüic (2018).
The most anticipated event for comic lovers continues to take place at the Fira de Montjüic.
The exhibits which will be on display were written and edited by great authors.
Jack Kirby, The King of the Comics
Creator and publisher of several comics like Captain America 1941 and popular superheroes like Fantastic Four, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Black Panther.
The Jack Kirby exhibition, the King of the Comics, will be divided into two parts:
- The authors entire career will be reviewed with texts and reproductions, explaining why he is considered the “King of the Comic”.
- Visitors will be offered a selection of his original, most popular series.
BOOM BOOM magazine (for adults)
The Spanish publication "Boom" has been published in the comic Totem for 40 years, also know as “The Boom Comic for Adults”. The International Fair of Comics Barcelona wants to pay homage and recall the phenomenon which marked the evolution of the Spanish comic.
The exhibition The Comic Boom Magazines (for adults) is essentially presented in two parts:
- The illustration of the previous publication, the life of the authors and editor of the magazine that marked boom with texts and reproductions.
- A selection of works published by 75 authors which will include all the aesthetic, graphic and narrative trends that has helped the history of the Spanish Comics advance during this period.
He was born in 1973 from Jan’s hand as a parody of Superman, it’s one of Superlópez’s most charismatic characters in the Spanish comics. Now 45 years after its creation, Barcelona International Comic Strip Fair wants to remember and defend this character and its author with the Superlopez xJan exhibition.
The exhibition will be divided into several sections.
- Exhibit with 70 originals and reproductions of the series.
- Discussion of the origins of the Supergroup, its active participation in the fantastic and mythological worlds, his exciting and rebellious aspects of the countries and the real places that he developed, its friends and its enemies.
- This exhibition will be complemented by a space devoted to Javier Ruiz Caldera’s film Superlópez, starring Dani Rovira as the main character.
New space dedicated to children between 5 and 12 years old, the International Fair of Comics Barcelona wants to create an area that is interesting, educational and will encourage children to read. The purpose of this space is to help promote comics among small children.
This new space is about 3,000 m2 and will include different areas: Drawing workshops where children can make their own drawings, characters, comics…. games, characters, stories, a reading space and a central exhibition where children will learn how to make their own comic.
The awards of the 36th Barcelona International Comic Strip Fair, voted by comic book professionals, aim to promote and recognise the authors, while supporting the work of the publishers who bet on them. The awards also want to show the richness and diversity of the comic strip that is published in Spain.
- Grand Prize of the Comic Fair in Barcelona 10,000 euros
- Best Work by a Spanish author published in Spain 10 000 euros
- Spanish author revelation 3000 euros
- Best Fanzine 1500 euros
Comic Fair Edition
The video below identifies the activities and what to expect from this great show including costumes, games and a good atmosphere to have fun with friends or family.
Do you like this post?
Share your thoughts
Apartments in Barcelona
4 | | 67m² Monthly rental with free internet and 2 bedrooms in Sants