We all know what breakfast and lunch is, but in 1895 a man named Guy Beringer decided that it was okay to mix those two words to form a new concept; Brunch. He was tired of the large "post-church" meal every Sunday and proposed a lighter version that involved light pastries, marmalade, and other breakfast dishes before slowly moving onto heavier foods. Fast-forward 118 years into the future and in Barcelona there are already establishments that are famous for their delicious brunches in the city, with pleasant atmospheres that are perfect for spending a relaxing morning on the weekend. If you're visiting the city on a budget, then you can celebrate brunch easily enough on your own time and for much less by staying in a central apartments in Barcelona.
So whether you're a brunch addict or the concept is entirely new to you, give brunch in Barcelona a chance by visiting any of the following locations.
Top 10 Brunch spots in Barcelona
- Teresa Carles: This local has for two years in a row won the first prize at the local 'Fira de l'Oli' at Les Borges Blanques. They specialize in vegetarian products with an emphasis on traditional production techniques and personalized dishes for customers.
- Tonka: Known for Brunches made with organic produce and delicious sweet dishes, everything here is made by hand. From their website you can take a look at how they do it!
- Milk Bar & Bistro: People come for its original and extravagant decór, but stay for the tasty foodstuffs, which can be enjoyed in a relaxing atmosphere accompanied by soothing music and magazines. It's run by an Irish couple, so don't be afraid to chat with them if you catch them there. Oh, and it has also been very talked about in both the press back in Ireland and here in Barcelona.
- Brunch & Cake: Though it may have a large number of meals to choose from, the best foody experience to be had here is definitely a result of sampling some of the pastries like the enormous cakes, or the colourful and tasty cupcakes. This place has a Scandanavian style and is very accommodating, but if you don't fancy sticking around it has two other locations in the city where you can take away food.
- Caravelle: Tucked away in the Raval district, this restaurant boasts an elegant and minimalist style, with a hint of vintage thrown in for good measure. Accessible prices define this place. In terms of dishes, expect to find a gastropub style cuisine that mixes English cuisine with Mediterranean. It certainly makes for an interesting combination.
- Picnic: They call themselves as a family restaurant, but you'll call it the place with brilliant presentation and great prices. The food is personal and fuses various cultures and generations.
- Marmalade: Step into Marmalade and you'll be stepping back into the 50s New York or Havana as this place mimics the style of those bars. There is a diverse brunch menu, but you may also appreciate a sneaky and daring morning cocktail from the bar. It's perfect for celebrating special occasions with friends. It's owned by the same Irish couple as the Milk Bar and is referred to as its "bigger brother".
- Norte: Focusing on personal treatment and a welcoming environment, it's a location where you can lose yourself for hours on end. All the food is natural and with a traditional touch.
- Federal Cafè: A large place with quality food and friendly service. Their menu is long and it's another lovely environment to spend a long morning.
- Muy Mío: As a 'European Modern Restaurant', there is an informal and contemporary feel at Muy Mío, full of young people. It offers international dishes with the aim of providing creativity in both food and service.
There are but a few of the brunch bases in Barcelona. If you're looking for a trendy place to have brunch in Barcelona and these places just don't do it for you, then take a look at the Coffee & Brunch BCN blog
How about you? Where would you recommend grabbing some brunch in Barna?
Excursions in Barcelona
To make the most of Barcelona and fill your trip with unforgettable experiences and emotions, we offer you the excursions through the Catalan capital organized by our friends - the GetYourGuide team. Choose your excursion and fall in love with Barcelona: