- What to see
- Where to sleep
- Travel Tips
Park Güell (Park)
Park Güell is one of the most famous projects by Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí. The park is named after Count Eusebi Güell, who commissioned the development of the area into a luxury housing estate. The project took 14 years to complete between 1900 and 1914 and was ultimately a failure as only two houses were built. One occupied by Güell and the other by Gaudí.
In 1923, the local council bought the land and it was opened publicly for the first time. The entire park gained World Heritage Status from UNESCO in 1984.
The most important points of interest in Park Güell include:
- The park entrance - where you will find the dragon fountain adorned with a colourful mosaic. (Gaudí has other examples of dragons in his architecture.
- The columns - which support the main terrace. This area was apparently supposed to be used as a marketplace.
- The main terrace - the heart of Park Güell, where children play and tourists sit on the vibrant benches overlooking the city.
- The high point - you can traverse to the top of the park where you will see three crosses overlooking the park (Gaudí was a religious man), and you'll find fantastic views of the city.
- Casa Museu Gaudí - Count Eusebi Güell managed to sell at least one house in the park, to none other than Guadí himself. You can explore Gaudí's home, get an idea of how he lived, and see work from a variety of his projects.
Why not discover the park as part of a Gaudí Route in Barcelona. Travel tip: Visit in the early hours with your partner for a more peaceful visit, with fewer tourists, the park becomes one of the most romantic spots in the city.
- Where?: Carrer d'Olot
- How to get there?: Metro L3 (Lesseps or Vallcarca), Bus - Lines: 24 - 31 - 32 - H6 - 92 - 112. Or the Blue tourist bus.
- Opening hours: Opens - 10:00. Closes - Nov to Feb at 18:00, Mar and Oct at 19:00. Apr and Sep at 20:00, May to Aug at 21:00.
- Price of Casa Museu Gaudí: €5.50
Other attractions in Gràcia
Do you like this post?
Share your thoughts
Participate. Share. Win.
7 | | 76m² Monthly rental with free internet and 3 bedrooms next to Park Güell