- What to see
- Where to sleep
- Travel Tips
Montjuic is an area and mountain in Barcelona, España. It peaks at 173 metres above sea level.
The mountain has historically been a strategic defense point for the city (together with the Ciutadella).
The Castle of Montjuic also served as a prison during the reign of Franco in Spain.
But today in this area, almost everything you'll find is related to sports, arts, and culture. The mountain is the home of many important cultural locations, such as :
- Magic Fountain of Montjuïc
- Barcelona Teatre Musical
- Teatre Lliure
- Mercat de les Flors
- Teatre Grec
- Joan Miró Foundation
- Museo CaixaFòrum (Art museum)
- Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya (MNAC) (National Art Museum of Catalonia)
- Museo etnológico de Barcelona (Barcelona Ethnology Museum)
- Jardín Botánico Histórico (The Historical Botanical Garden)
- Nuevo Jardín Botánico de Barcelona (The new Botanic Garden of Barcelona)
You'll also find various Olympic buildings which hosted the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona like:
- Lluis Companys Olympic Stadium
- Palau Sant Jordi
- Bernat Picornell Pools
- INEFC (Institue of Physical Education)
- Montjuic Public Swimming pool
And other sports facilities.
- Parc del Migdia Athletic Stadium
- Carlos Pérez de Rozas Baseball Field
- Pau Negre Hockey Stadium (Grass)
- Joan Serrahima Athletic Stadium
- Montjuic National Shooting Facilities
In Montjuic you'll also find interesting tourist locations like Poble Espanyol, and the Telecommunications tower of Montjuic.
- How to get there? Funicular of Montjuic, Montjuic Cable Car, Port Cable Car. Barcelona Metro (Stations: Paral·lel (Lines 2 and 3) and Espanya (Lines 1 and 3) Montjuïc Tourist Bus, Public transport buses: 13, 23, 50, 55, 61, 107
- Free parking - (For more information on free parking in Barcelona read this article)