- What to see
- Where to sleep
- Travel Tips
Barcelona Aquarium (Museum)
The aquarium of Barcelona is located on Port Vell and consists of 35 different tanks that house over 11,000 animals from across 450 different species. Since it opened in 1995, it has been visited by more than 14 million people and is one of the top choices for family days out in Barcelona. There are also various interactive exhibits and tours ideal for people with visual impairments.
Sections of the Aquarium
- Mediterranean Tanks: These 14 tanks are where you'll find the typical species from the mediterranean sea, it includes recreations of important nature reserves in Spain; the Medes Islands and the Ebro Delta.
- Tropical tanks: In this section, visitors will find 7 tanks that are the habitat for some of the more exotic species of the aquarium, originating from tropical seas.
- The Oceanarium: This is the pride of the museum, a walk through tank with 36 m of diameter and around 4 million litres of water. Throughout the 80 m walk, you'll come across various sharks, rays, eels, and fish. There are 19 species to discover in this tank and if you have a diving certificate, you'll be welcome to swim with the sharks for yourself.
- Themed Aquariums: There are a variety of small themed tanks toward the end of the aquarium, with creatures like seahorses, lobsters, small sharks and their transparent egg sacs, and anemones.
- Planet Aqua: In this final section you can learn about the vital role that the oceans play, as well as see living fossils, various reptiles, fishes, and mammals. Don't forget to say hi to the penguins as they go for a swim.
- Where: Maremagnum, Barcelona.
- How to get there: Metro: Drassanes (L3), Barceloneta (L4). |Bus: Lines 14, 17, 19, 36, 38, 40, 45, 57, 59, 64, 91, and 157.
- Monday to Friday: 9:30 AM - 9:00 PM
- Weekends and public holidays: 9:30 AM - 9:30 PM
- June and September: 9:30 AM - 9:30 PM
- July and August: 9:30 AM - 11:00 PM
- Adults: €18.50.
- Children (4 - 12): €13.50
- Children (under 4): Free
- Seniors (60+ years): €15